Sunday, April 28, 2013

Christian Home Magazine: A Verse (Not) for Every Occassion

What's up with this photo?
  This post appears in the Christian Home Magazine. Check it out!

    Have you ever heard people say that there's a Bible verse for any and every situation? Although at face value I believe this to be true, I also believe that the converse is also accurate. After reading through the book of Ecclesiastes this week, I concluded that for every occasion, there is a verse not to pass along.

     Imagine this. You're a high school graduate, and your youth leader gives you an inspirational Daysprings card with Ecclesiastes 12:1 inscribed in beautiful calligraphy on the front: "Remember your Creator in the days of your youth." Encouraging, no? And great advice! But not quite so cheery when you open up the card and inside read the rest of the passage: "...before the sun and the light and the moon and the stars grow dark ... when men are afraid of heights and of dangers in the streets; when the almond tree blossoms and the grasshopper drags himself along ..." (In other words, enjoy God now because life sure is going to suck once you make your way into the real world.)

     Somehow I doubt Solomon was invited to speak at too many commencements in his day.

     Here's a great one to not pass along to newlyweds: "Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love..." Great so far, right? But keep reading: "...all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun - all your meaningless days" (9:9). Basically, Solomon is saying you better enjoy life with her now, because love, marriage, family ... it's all meaningless anyway. I'm glad no one included that one in our card basket eight years ago.

     Is someone you know celebrating a job promotion? If you point them to Eccleasiastes 9:10 for inspiration, make sure you only quote the first half of the verse ("Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might...") because the second half isn't quite as encouraging: "...for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

     Not exactly the Zig Zigler motivational quote they might have expected.

     Now we all love hearing about new babies arriving into the world. In fact, my friend is about to deliver twins in the next 24 hours or so and I'm sitting expectantly by my Facebook feed waiting for pictures! But I doubt I'll be sending her husband a card with Ecclesiastes 6:2 inside once the babies are safely delivered: "A man may have a hundred children and live many years; yet no matter how long he lives, if he cannot enjoy his prosperity ... I say that a stillborn child is better off than he."

     I do believe that the Bible does have a verse for "every activity under heaven." I just don't suggest spending too much time in Ecclesiastes looking for them.

Random Fact #14: When I was a kid I had at least 100 Adventures in Odyssey tapes completely memorized.

Did you know? This week is North Korea Freedom Week. Please say a pray for North Korean children, leaders, soldiers, prisoners, and refugees today! And if you're interested, my Christian novel about a young girl in North Korea is free for the next few days on kindle. Get The Beloved Daughter free!

Share a Tweet: Award-winning Christian novel free today on Kindle. Set in North Korea.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the smile today! Although, I think you have a new calling: "Ecclesiastes Cards." You could make a fortune! Quick question, you ever wish you could call up Whit for advice? I used to think a trip to Colorado Springs to meet "the gang" would have been so much fun! Maybe they could finally tell me what state Odyssey is in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, thanks Christabelle. Yeah, I'm sure the cards would go over just great! I love Whit. We're listening to an episode right now actually!

      Delete
  2. I found a good verse for a high school graduate! Ezekiel 16:12a "and I put a ring on your nose"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't include anything past verse 15 in the card, though.

      Delete