Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wednesday WIPpet: "Trip to the Past"



     Today was an exciting day for me as a writer. I just got my final (keep your fingers crossed) round of edits for my soon-to-be-published kids' book, "What, No Sushi?"

     This chapter book for elementary-aged students is the first book in My Solar-Powered History series, which features three adventurous boys who experience their family history with a little help from their inventor father. I've been working with a great editor from Do Life Right, Inc., and we're hoping for an early-spring release (again with the fingers crossed).

     This week's WIPpet includes six paragraphs from chapter 3 of "What, No Sushi."

***     

Trip to the past?” Benson repeated. “What does he mean?”

Benson stared at the letter thoughtfully, then ran over to Kimuko. “Um, what year is it?” he asked.

“What?” Kimuko looked confused. Benson repeated his question. Kimuko looked over at me with a puzzled look in her eyes. I just shrugged.

“Why, it’s 1942, of course,” the girl answered.

Benson ran back to us. By then I had figured out what was going on. “Dad’s solar-powered invention isn’t a flying machine at all,” I declared.

“It’s a time machine!” we all exclaimed.

***

Do you WIPpet? You should! Include part of your WIP (Work In Progress) that has something to do with today's date (like six paragraphs from chapter three on 3/6). Then come back and link here on at My Random Muse

Tweetables:
A short excerpt from "What, No Sushi?" for kids.  
Do you WIPpet? You should!
Check out a new time travel history series for kids. 

8 comments:

  1. How exciting is that to discover it's a time machine - you capture their delight beautifully! (Something that is uniquely fun when writing children's books). - Great WIPpet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raewyn! My adult novels have all had really heavy themes(like NICU babies and imprisoned Christians in North Korea) so it's been very fun to write something for young kids with a lot of joy and always happy endings.

      Delete
  2. Time travel - just my kind of thing! It's a great set up having a father as an inventor, and I love the way the kids are all so excited when they discover the flying machine (which in itself would be pretty cool) is actually a time machine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's fun to compare your time travel with what I'm doing. I think mine's for a slightly younger audience (less danger and suspense, for one thing!) but it's been great to see another kid's author with the time travel idea.

      Delete
  3. Uh-oh, time machine. They terrify me. Actually, the whole time travel thing really messes with my brain. I love it, don't get me wrong, but I'm always trying to figure out the "what ifs". Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Thankfully this book is pretty short and definitely for younger kids, so I don't need to worry about all the strange metaphysical dilemmas that come up in typical time travel stories. Pure fun, pure history ... I've been enjoying the process for sure.

      Delete
  4. Aaaand this is the moment Dad walks into the garage and says to himself, "Wait now, did I invent the time machine yet? Or is that a memory from the future? I thought I left it right here..." I love the complexities of time travel! I'm looking forward to reading the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks! Dad hasn't time traveled yet. I'm not sure I could keep all those different time lines distinct in my own head! I don't have that degree of nerdy sophistication required...

      Delete